Here in Virginia Beach, the weather is perfect for pumpkin picking and trick-or-treating which is only a few days away! Oops, did you forget that Halloween is next week? While some people have costumes prepared months in advance, others may be scrambling for things to wear to Halloween parties and trick-or-treating this weekend. And your kid’s decision to be Batman three months ago may have changed a dozen times between then and now, leaving you with some creative sewing to do!
Well, no need to fear, Mosquito Joe is here to help with some last-minute, do-it-yourself costume ideas for everybody! Whether you’re looking for a solo costume, something to wear as a group, or something for the little ones, these costumes are sure to catch some attention for their creativity and simplicity.
Halloween Costume Ideas for Couples/Groups
- Google Maps – Never get lost again with this hilarious costume that lets you and a partner be point A and point B on a Google Maps route. All you need are cardboard and markers for the headpiece and some yellow duct tape, a printer, and tape to create the street view on your shirt.
- Fruit of the Loom – I give full credit for this costume idea to my parents who wore it to a Halloween party a few years ago. The essence of this costume for all members includes balloons, tights, a hat, and gloves of the same color. Apply the balloons to each person with some tape, and you’re on your way!
- Three blind mice – Perhaps the most famous of nursery rhyme trios, the Three Blind Mice make for a simple and hilarious Halloween costume. Grey long-sleeved shirts and leggings, walking canes, sunglasses, and mouse ears are all you need to complete this look.
Halloween Costume Ideas for Singles
- Brawny man – It couldn’t get much easier than this costume that only requires a red and black flannel shirt, jeans, work boots, and a roll of paper towels (still in the wrapper).
- Operation game man – People love Halloween costumes that play on fun childhood memories. And what better way to play on them than to become the subject of a great (and very annoying) board game from the ’60s – Operation! You’ll need a nude colored shirt and leggings, red and white construction paper, and some tongs. The great thing about this is no buzzing sound!
- Bags of jelly beans – Use sharpies on a clear plastic bag to draw a jelly bean picture or logo of your choosing. Then wrap yourself in the bag, cut out head, arm, and leg holes just big enough to fit through, and fill the bag with colored balloons!
Halloween Costume Ideas For Kids
- Boxes of candy – You are what you eat, right? So why not transform the kids into their favorite candy for the night? Find a cardboard box large enough to comfortably fit your child, and color the outside according to whichever candy wrapper you’d like. Then cut head and arm holes into the box, and you’re done! A matching pair of tights and gloves adds a nice finishing touch.
- Stick figure – A white shirt and pants, black electrical tape, a piece of paper, string, and a marker are all you need for this one. Draw a simple stick figure face on the paper, cut it out in a circle, and tie it around the head to cover the face. Then place electrical tape on the shirt and pants to create a stick figure image. It’s best to do the last step while your child is wearing the outfit so everything lines up accordingly.
- Carl from “Up” – This costume idea is a real crowd pleaser as Up is one of the most beloved Pixar movies ever made. A brown sweater, white shirt, red bow tie, brown pants, and square glasses will be needed to make the outfit. You can make a small walker by using pvc pipe and placing tennis balls on the end. To complete the look, tie a few colored balloons around your child’s waist. Don’t worry, they won’t float away!
We could go on and on about creative Halloween costume ideas to fulfill your last minute needs. If you’re still stuck, you can even ask Siri! That’s right, the new iPhone update will provide DIY costume ideas when you ask Siri what you should be for Halloween. My personal favorite: dress in all black, and stand in front of people all night. You’ll be an eclipse.
Happy Halloween from your friends at Mosquito Joe! We’d love to hear about your costume ideas, so don’t forget to comment here and post on our Facebook page. And if you are still in need of mosquito control services this year, call your local Mosquito Joe for service. Many of our southern locations will continue to operate for weeks to come!