As the weather continues to get warmer, we’ve got some ideas for ways that you can enjoy time with your pets this spring! Not only do we want to ensure that your pets enjoy the outdoors, we also want to make sure they’re protected from pests that can transmit serious diseases such as Lyme Disease. The month of May is Lyme Disease Awareness Month, when organizations work to raise awareness and educate people on the effects it can have on humans and the pets they love.
High Risk Areas
While ticks and Lyme disease can be found across the country, the majority of cases are in the Northeast of the United States and people that live in these states should take special precautions to prevent transmission:
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New York
- Rhode Island
May is the perfect time to be proactive in your prevention efforts to ensure pets get to enjoy the outdoors pest-free. The best way to prevent Lyme disease is to do regular tick checks for children and pets after they come in from being outside. The Lyme Disease Association lists a number of ways that families can lower their exposure to ticks, so there’s no better time than now to take action.
We know that pets and their humans like to venture outside of their own yards, so here’s a list of pet-friendly events in various locations that you can take part in this spring!
- Wags and Whiskers Pet Fest – Flower Mound, TX
- FURever Fest – Marietta, GA
- Barks & Bagels 2018 – Boston, MA
- Petpalooza – Summerdale, SC
- Spring Fling Walk – Medina, OH
- Long Island Dog Festival – Oyster Bay, NY
- To Do My Best 5k – Piqua, OH
- Human and Canine Blood Drive – Mount Laurel, NJ
- Memorial Weekend at Williamsburg KOA Campground – Williamsburg, VA
- Yappy Hour – Grafton, MA
- Five Dog Night – Aurora, CO
- Bark Walk on NE 2 Ave + Flagler Drive – Fort Lauderdale, FL
For more events that the whole family can attend, pets included, click here!
Mosquito Joe provides barrier treatments to protect your outdoor spaces from mosquitoes, fleas, and ticks. Call your local Mosquito Joe today to start your summer the right way by protecting your family and pets. We even offer an all-natural treatment option to treat your koi ponds and vegetable gardens.