If you have a kiddo with a summer birthday, it’s always fun to take advantage of the warm weather as you plan a celebration. Whether in your backyard or at a neighborhood park, there are plenty of ways to make it memorable. We’ve got some ideas to help you keep your birthday boy or girl and the whole party crew entertained (and out of your house!)
Backyard Pirate Party
Pirates are always a hit with kids (and even most adults!), so if you’re looking for an adventurous way to celebrate, consider a backyard pirate bash to include the following activities:
- Decorate a favor: Get small treasure chests from the local craft or dollar store and have kids decorate them as favors.
- Walk the plank: Set up a kiddie pool and lay a piece of wood across the top of the pool. Have the kids walk the plank!
- Dig for treasure: If you have a shallow storage tub lying around, fill it with sand. Bury toys into the sand and let the kids dig for them!
- Scavenger Hunt: Hide small toys or snacks around your backyard and create a scavenger hunt complete with a treasure map and x marks the spot! The kids will love finding their “treasure!”
Backyard Splash Party
Keeping everyone cool with a backyard water party is never a bad idea during the hot months of summer! The options listed below might actually incorporate items you already have in your garage, which is always a plus!
- Water balloon fight: Fill a big tub with water balloons, and let the kids go to town in the backyard! The fun will be worth the cleanup.
- Sprinkler fun: Turn on all of your sprinklers, and tell the kids to suit up! This always makes for an endless amount of fun!
- Homemade slip-n-slide: If you have a tarp, lay it out across the backyard. Spray it down with a hose, and don’t forget to leave the hose running for that constant slip-n-slide effect. The kids will have a blast slipping and sliding their way across the yard! If you don’t have a tarp, no need to worry. Plastic sheeting from the hardware store also works perfectly!
General Ideas for Any Backyard Bash
- DIY ice cream bar: Set up a topping buffet, and let your little guests make their own sundaes!
- Water gun painting: Fill water guns with paint, and set up easels with paper in the backyard. Let the kids make their own colorful creations by squirting paint from the water guns!
- Bubbles: Let’s be real. What outdoor party is complete without bubbles?
Before we leave you to backyard bash preparation, it’s important for us to note that mosquitoes feed mainly at dawn and dusk. Unfortunately, dusk is also the perfect time-of-day to be outside manning the grill and getting splashed by water balloons. Consider clearing your yard of mosquitoes with a barrier spray treatment, so that your guests can leave your party with a big smile and not a bug bite in sight. Give your local Mosquito Joe a call today to ensure that you’re on the schedule in time to have an itch-free backyard birthday!