Don’t Cancel Your Mosquito Control Service Too Early!
Anyone who’s tried our services and experienced an itch-free yard knows the benefits of Mosquito Joe. But there’s also a benefit to extending your treatment plan even when you think you may no longer need it. If you end your season early, female mosquitoes will have a chance to not only make your yard a home, but also to lay more eggs before the first freeze. It is absolutely vital that our technicians stay on top of these mosquitoes to keep them at bay and prevent a nightmare for your yard come spring.
But it’s getting chilly, why continue service?
The last few sprays are important for many reasons. Mosquitoes can be tricky creatures. They lay eggs (up to 300 at a time!), hibernate, and can survive some pretty frigid temperatures while in hibernation. All eggs that have been laid have the ability to survive the colder temperatures as well. The only things necessary for eggs to hatch are water and temperatures above 50 degrees.
Cooler months ahead might mean that canceling your mosquito control services is on your to-do list. But don’t let dropping temperatures trick you into ending your mosquito control service early. Maintain a protected outdoor area for you and your family – taking care of the mosquitoes now will make next spring a lot less itchy!
Avoiding a breeding ground.
With help from the professionals at Mosquito Joe, you and your family can get ahead of any mosquito problems you may have on your property by maintaining the following habits:
- Regularly empty “problem areas” where water may gather such as ponds, plant pots, tarps, kids toys, and bird baths.
- Clean gutters to avoid standing water and examine them for clots that would cause water to collect.
- Drill holes in tire swings, trash cans or recycle bins so water drains out after rain.
- Use soil to fill holes or low areas in your lawn to avoid the collection of rainwater.
- Repair leaky outdoor faucets or hoses.
- Cut grass and shrubs shorts and avoid overgrown vegetation.
It’s important to continue your barrier spray treatment as long as possible to ensure your outdoor space is protected from mosquitoes, ticks and fleas no matter what time of year it is. If you have any questions about your current service, or if you want to prevent pests from coming back once the weather heats up again, give your local Mosquito Joe a call today!