One factor that can be particularly impactful to our services and the mosquito population overall is rain. We know this can raise questions when it comes to your barrier treatment, so we’ve got a few tips to make sure your yard stays itch-free, no matter what mother nature throws your way.
As long as your yard has had adequate time to dry after the application of your treatment (approximately 30 minutes), rain should not impact the effectiveness of your service. Our product is not significantly broken down by water!
While our product is not affected by rain once it is dry, it is important to note that increased rainfall generally causes an increase in mosquito population since mosquitoes lay their eggs and their larvae live and grow in the water. However, given some time, our product will continue to reduce the mosquitoes on your property.
With many areas in the country experiencing higher than average rainfall this season, it’s likely standing water will accumulate on your property which could be a potential breeding area for mosquitoes. To ensure that there is no standing water in your yard, follow the below checklist prior to expected rainfall:
- Get rid of any old items that could hold water such as old tires, buckets or cans.
- Be sure to empty any kiddie pools and toys. Turning them over and leaving them upside down overnight can help drain any water.
- Clean out any standing water in flower pots.
- Repair leaky outdoor faucets.
- Be sure your gutters are cleaned at least two times a year and have them checked more frequently if your area experiences heavy rain and wind.
- Keep garbage pails covered tightly.
- If you have a boat, canoe or kayak in your driveway, be sure it is covered or drained of any water.
- Change or drain tarps for firewood or outdoor pools, as well as check your barbecue cover daily for any pooled water.
- Change the water in birdbaths daily. We also suggest purchasing a water agitator for birdbaths which is designed to attract birds, but discourages mosquitoes!
- Lastly, we recommend keeping your lawn cut short. Short grass will help deter adult mosquitoes from hanging around, as they prefer to rest in cool, damp and shady areas.
You can download the checklist here to keep around your home to ensure you are preventing mosquitoes from setting up shop in your backyard.
The MoJo Guarantee
Mosquitoes suck, but we are confident that you won’t feel that way about our mosquito control services. For that reason, we offer our MoJo Satisfaction Guarantee and never lock you into a contract. If you are not completely satisfied with the effectiveness of our mosquito, tick and flea treatments, contact us within 14 days of your service and we will schedule a time to reassess your property, and if needed, provide a booster treatment at no additional cost. We pride ourselves on customer service and our job is not done until you’re happy and outside is fun again!
There’s no job too big or too small for us here at Mosquito Joe, so give us a call today for a free quote at 855-ASK-A-JOE or mosquitojoe.com