Each year the third week of June is declared National Mosquito Control Awareness Week by the American Mosquito Control Association. AMCA’s “Mosquito Week” aims to educate the public about the significance of mosquitoes in their daily lives and why mosquito control is so important. While Mosquito Joe thinks educating our neighbors on mosquito control is important year round, we’re excited to mark this important week each year by giving back to our community.
This year for Mosquito Control Awareness Week, June 22-28, Mosquito Joe locations across the country are partnering with local blood donation centers for our Beat the Bloodsuckers campaign. For every new customer that signs up for a mosquito treatment service from Mosquito Joe during Mosquito Control Awareness week, we will donate 10% of those sales to local blood donation centers to help with all the amazing work they do in the communities in which we operate.
In honor of Mosquito Control Awareness Week we want to give you a few ways you can help make sure mosquitoes don’t call your yard home. Mosquitoes breed in standing water (even very small amounts) so these tips are quick ways you can eliminate breeding grounds for the annoying buzzers!
- Regularly empty ponds, bird baths, fountains, plant pots, buckets, barrels, tarps, kids toys, pet water dishes or anywhere else that water may gather.
- Clean out gutters to avoid standing water – examine them for clots and damage that would cause water to collect.
- Drill holes in tire swings, trash cans or recycle bins so water drains out.
- Use soil to fill in low areas in lawns and landscaped areas where rainwater may collect and stand for more than seven days.
- Keep swimming pools clean, properly circulated and filtered. Keep children’s wading pools empty and on their sides when they aren’t being used.
- Repair leaky outdoor faucets.
- Cut grass and shrubs short, as adult mosquitoes gather to rest in shady, cool areas. Keep your yard weed-free and avoid overgrown vegetation.
If you know of any friends or family that would be interested in signing up for service or if you have been on the fence yourself about signing up for service, this is the perfect opportunity to help us raise money and Beat the Bloodsuckers! We love making outside fun and safe for you and your family. Thank you for your continued support of Mosquito Joe.