What Animals Eat Ticks?
Not only is summer the best time to be doing outdoor activities, it is also high season for ticks. These small insects are notorious for their bites and ability to transmit diseases. One of the ways, outside of tick control services, to get rid of ticks is through having natural predators of ticks on your property.
Learn what animals eat ticks and how to prevent infestations to keep your home and family safe and tick-free.
What Eats Ticks?
There are a variety of animals that are natural predators for ticks. Having these animals on your property can help to naturally prevent tick infestations in your yard.
These animals all eat ticks:
- Wild turkeys
- Ants and fire ants
Do Opossums Eat Ticks?
Yes, opossums are one of the top predators for ticks and kill more than 90 percent of the ticks they encounter. Not only are opossums really good at removing ticks, they can also eat up to 5,000 ticks per season. So, the next time you find an opossum in your yard, know that it is doing a very important job in keeping your yard safe and free of ticks.
How to Prevent Tick Infestations
Unfortunately, housing these animals on your property probably isn’t realistic, and we can’t choose what animals decide to call our yard home.
Here are some alternate ways to keep ticks away from your property:
- Keep your grass short
- Clean up lawn clippings
- Create a barrier of mulch around your yard
- Weed and trim any tall weeds or plants
- Use professional outdoor pest control services, like Mosquito Joe, to protect your yard
How to Avoid Tick Bites
Anyone who lives in an area with ticks is likely open to anything that would decrease the chances of a tick bite.
Here are a few ways to prevent tick bites:
- Wear long sleeves and pants when walking in wooded or grassy areas
- Tuck your pants into your socks
- Wash clothing immediately after coming inside
- Inspect kids and pets for ticks (time for a tick check!), then have another adult inspect you for ticks
- Use a bug spray with DEET
- Avoid tick-infested areas
Find Pest Control Services Near Me
You take the first step toward eliminating pests from your yard when you choose the dedicated experts at your local Mosquito Joe. Our team is ready to support you with everything from tick control to special event sprays. Call us at 1-855-275-2563 or find a Mosquito Joe near you to get started today.