Whether you are spending time in the great outdoors or simply playing fetch with your furry friend in the backyard, we know that nothing ruins outdoor fun like unwelcomed pests; especially ticks in your lawn. Protecting your family from ticks is important because not only are they are a nuisance, they can also pose serious health risks, such as Lyme disease.
If you are looking for a more natural way to incorporate tick prevention in your outdoor spaces, essential oils are a great alternative. Naturally derived, essential oils can be applied to clothing or directly on the skin to help keep irritating ticks at bay. If you aren’t sure which ones to use or how to best apply them, the list below will help guide you on how to use essential oil for ticks.
What Are the Best Essential Oils to Repel Ticks?
While essential oils are often not as potent as their chemical-based alternatives, they can be effective in providing a second layer of tick control. Here are few essential oils that have tick-repelling properties:
- A pleasant-smelling oil, eucalyptus can be used to repel ticks and pests. Be sure to dilute with a carrier oil or purchase a spray solution that has already been thinned with water. Due to the potency, use sparingly with pets or select a different repellent if you’re using it around furry friends.
- Toxic to ticks and their larvae, cedarwood is a prime choice for a tick repellent. Combined with the fact that it is safe to apply to people and pets alike, this is one of the best options for essential oil repellent.
- Useful beyond seasoning a savory dish, garlic can be easily transformed into a tick deterrent. Mince garlic, mix with mineral oil, allow to soak overnight, and then put in a spray bottle. This simple mixture can be sprayed directly on skin, pets, or even on plants to keep ticks away.
- This oil can be a potent and effective tick repellent and is OK to apply to the skin or on your dog’s collar to deter ticks.
- Versatile and virulent to insects, lavender can be a fantastic addition to the arsenal. This essential oil is safe for topical use on all ages, including infants, and is lethal to ticks and their eggs.
- A powerful member of the mint family, this can serve as a great tick deterrent. Pennyroyal is best applied under cushions, rugs, and fabrics in the home as a preventative measure should pets bring ticks into the home. It should not be used on the skin or on pets.
Did you know that Mosquito Joe also provides natural treatment options for your yard? Our natural treatments are an alternative to our traditional synthetic barrier treatment. There are several spray options, garlic repellent treatment, and two variations of essential oil solutions which include peppermint, rosemary, and lemongrass essential oils. Similar to our traditional treatment, trained technicians use a backpack sprayer in order to apply the natural formulas to the foliage on your property. , Your property will be treated on a 14-21 day cycle, depending on which natural solution you choose, to provide effective outdoor pest control. You can learn more about our natural treatment options here.
If your yard is still being overrun with ticks, it may be time to contact a professional tick exterminator. Call Mosquito Joe today at 1-855-275-2563 to explore tick control options near your location or contact us online and kick the ticks for good this season!