Outdoor weddings can be a wonderful experience shared with family, friends, and plenty of natural beauty. But along with that beauty can come a fair number of complications, including unwelcome guests: bugs. No one wants their special day to turn into a flurry of swatting or slapping away bugs. The experts at Mosquito Joe have some advice that can help make your special outdoor event memorable for all the right reasons.
How To Get Rid of Bugs for Outdoor Wedding
While you could end up with any number of party-crashing bugs, there are a few that are more likely to show up at an outdoor wedding. Some of the most common pests include:
There are several things you can do to make your wedding less attractive to these pesky party crashers. If possible, have your wedding in the spring or fall. Summer is the peak of insect season and a time when many insects are the most active. Make sure there’s no standing water since this can also attract a variety of insects. Keep shrubs and trees neatly trimmed, and be sure to rake up any plant debris that might be a haven for insects
You’ll also want to consider the time of day. Dusk is the worst time to hold an outdoor event because that is when many insects are on the hunt for a meal. If you can, an afternoon or late-morning wedding is ideal. This should help you avoid spending most of the ceremony swatting at mosquitoes.
However, if you prefer to have your wedding in the spring or summer during dusk or early evening hours, then you’ll need to do some pre-planning to keep your guests from becoming a meal. One way to keep you and your guests comfortable is to contact your local Mosquito Joe. They can help keep bugs away and your guests itch-free on your big day.
Also, if all or part of your event takes place on a lawn, make sure it has been mowed to the lowest possible length. This will reduce hiding spots for insects. Here are some other insect repellent alternatives you might want to consider.
Related Topic: Wedding Season = Mosquito Season
What’s the Best Insect Repellent for an Outdoor Wedding?
Insect repellents can be a useful tool for keeping you and your guests comfortable during your special event. Candles, sprays, and other products can prove effective at keeping insects away. So, it is a good idea to have them available, just in case.
- Citronella candles are a good, easy-to-use option for mosquito control at an outdoor wedding. Lit citronella candles or torches arranged around the event space can help keep insects such as mosquitoes away. To create a barrier around the perimeter of your wedding event, consider spacing citronella candles about three feet apart. Although effective, this can be a somewhat unpleasant alternative for you and your guests because citronella candles do give off a very distinct odor.
- Insect repellent spray can also be effective but is not always ideal. Although you can have cans or bottles available, some guests may be reluctant to use them because most leave a residue and have an odor that can linger for some time.
- If you know the site you selected is particularly prone to insects, having the area treated in advance will help discourage pests. As mentioned, treatments like those available from Mosquito Joe are effective for up to 30 days. You can choose a natural barrier treatment that uses garlic or a botanical option derived from natural plant oils to keep pests away from your event.
Outdoor Wedding Mosquito Prevention
Aside from candles, torches, and barrier treatments, there are also some natural options you might want to consider to keep mosquitoes and other pests away from your wedding.
- Essential oils such as citronella and eucalyptus are known for their insect-repellent qualities. Consider placing diffusers in the area, using incense made from these botanicals, or buying lotions or sprays that you and your guests can apply.
- Grow citronella, mint, and marigolds. These plants naturally repel insects, including mosquitoes, and can be grown in containers and placed around your venue.
- Consider a screened pavilion or tent. If none of these options appeal to you, consider renting a screened pavilion or tent for your ceremony. The only drawback is that it might not be easy to find one that’s large enough, and a tent or screened pavilion can detract from the natural beauty of your outdoor event (which defeats the purpose).
Keep Uninvited Pests Away
An outdoor wedding can be a very special, beautiful, and memorable event. However, if insects arrive, it could be memorable for all the wrong reasons. No one wants something as special as their wedding spoiled by insects. If you’re looking for an effective way to keep insects from crashing your wedding, contact your local Mosquito Joe.
Our traditional and natural barrier sprays effectively keep pests away for up to thirty days. If you’re planning an outdoor event, make Mosquito Joe a part of your planning. This way the only guests that show up are the ones you invited. To learn more, or to get started, call us at 1-855-275-2563 or schedule an appointment online today.